Lately my life has been letting me see my truth, in black and white.
It is funny how we can be far easier on others than ourselves. I find it is easy to see other peoples truth, what is going on in their lives. I can chat comfortably with them and give them a gentle prod to help them see what is happening. But when it comes to myself, I am harsh, unforgiving and I hold myself to a higher standard.
We went camping for the last 4 days. I find camping a great place to reconnect with mother earth, the animals and the elements.
We were watching the Osprey fishing for his daily meals. Its quite windy where we were, so the Osprey could hold itself in the wind without much flying required.
I noticed small movements in his tail feathers when he wanted to go forward or a flattening and spreading of his tail feathers to stay put.
He dove down to into the water and grabbed a fish, came out slightly but then back down into the water.
I watched in amazement at first, as I thought he was adjusting his talons to keep a hold of the fish, but this took too long. My amazement turned to horror, as wave after wave washed over him. I thought he was going to drown. I started to say to my husband, should we go in and save him.
As a shaman, nature and animals will represent messages from Great Spirit. So I looked at that situation and thought what was the message for me? If the Opsrey represented a part of me, was I seeing the truth of my life?
- Does the Osprey catch every fish it goes for? No
- Do I expect to catch every fish I go for? Yes
- Do I dive into life with high expectations? Yes
- Do I expect things to be successful? Yes
- Do I flounder around in the waves when things don’t go right? Yes
- Was the Osprey floundering around in the waves? No I don’t think so
- Do I emotionally stay in those situations too long? Yes
- Did the Osprey stay in the water too long? No
- Am I able to get myself out of situations and learn from them? Yes
- Do I see all aspects of truth in my life? No – my expectations hide the truth from me.
- Does the Osprey learn from not catching the fish? Yes and I learn from my mistakes and I have a lifetime to do that.
Be gentle on yourself when catching the fish in your life, because you wont catch every fish and you will learn and grow.